Signs Your Vehicle Needs Brake Repair
There is no doubt about how critical your brakes are to your vehicle’s safety. If you have not had your brake system or vehicle maintained in a while, you may have worn brake pads or deteriorating rotors. These may put you at greater risk than you realize. Luckily, most cars will give warning signs that it is time to replace the brake pads or take the car in for service. As the driver or vehicle owner, you have to know what to look for in order to identify these issues and schedule timely brake repair in Edmonton.
Do You Need New Brakes?
These signs help you identify that it is time to replace your brake pads. By bringing your vehicle in for brake repair in Edmonton early, you can avoid costlier fixes, such as replacing the rotors as well. Some signs you may need new brake pads include:
- Pulsating Brake Pedal - As you press on your brake pedal, it should engage smoothly. If you notice that it is pulsating or vibrating, you most likely are driving with worn out brake pads.
- Clicking Noises - Brakes should not make a noise, but if you notice a clicking sound as you press on the pedal, it is an indicator of worn down brake pads.
- Screeching Sounds - High-pitched screeching sounds coming from your brakes is caused by a metal shim rubbing against metal. You can hear it more clearly when your windows are down. If you only hear this high-pitched noise once in a while, it is not your brake pads. Instead, you should hear it every time you press the brake pedal.
- The Car Vibrates - If the vehicle itself starts to shake or vibrate as you are trying to brake, the car is having trouble gripping the brake pads. This also may indicate that you have warped rotors, which reduces the effectiveness and safety of your entire brake system.
- The Pedal is Soft - When pressing on your brake pedal, it should be stiff and not have a lot of give. If it is soft or you have to press it to the floor to receive a response, your brake pads are worn down or you may have low brake fluid in the lines.
Bring Your Vehicle in for New Brakes in Edmonton
If your vehicle is giving you indications that it is time for new brake pads, do not wait. By replacing these critical components at the right time, you can protect the rest of your brake system and improve your vehicle’s safety.
Action Muffler Radiator & Brakes offers auto repair in Edmonton. If you need new brakes, bring your vehicle in for a service appointment at our North, South or West Edmonton locations. You can also contact us online with your questions and concerns.